Sunday 22 April 2012

Candidates Views; Kate Stephen, SLD - THC Ward 18



APT Blog
My name is Kate Stephen and I am standing as the Lib Dem candidate at the Council elections for Ward 18 – Smithton, Culloden, Balloch, Ardersier, Croy & Cawdor.  Thank you for this opportunity to share my views with you.
My views on democracy:
From my experience as a community development worker / project manager, I am convinced of the need for the involvement of local people in decisions affecting their community and services.  A current buzz word for this is ‘Co-production’ where individuals and communities work alongside the public sector to design and deliver services.
 This can be a challenging process which involves some costs, but in the long run is more cost-effective.  Disagreement is common and conflict can occur when individuals push their own agenda and fail to consider the views and needs of others and when ‘experts’ feel qualified to make decisions by themselves.
Because of the challenges, I think public agencies are sometimes reluctant to work with communities and communities feel unable to trust the public agencies.  I’d like to see more collaboration between communities and public agencies (including the council) in which there is transparency, mutual respect and a degree of trust.  When the threat of cut backs looms in the background, it is difficult but more necessary to align local government decisions with the priorities of the communities they serve.
Whilst I think it is good to keep National politics out of local government, I have taken on the Lib Dem mantle for two reasons:
1)     The Lib Dems fit most closely to my way of thinking on most issues.
2)     I was asked to be the Lib Dem candidate for the Culloden & Ardersier ward.

At a global level, the Arab Spring has challenged some of my faith in democracy.  Although there are many positive implications for the countries involved and lives improved, some individuals may be affected negatively – I’m thinking of women who will have less freedom under a democratically elected fundamentalist Muslim government than they had under a ‘benign’ dictator.  Ultimately, I believe that respect, fairness and tolerance are required whatever political structure, whether democratically elected or not.

My views on planning:
A few years ago, I completed a degree in Sustainable Rural Development through UHI.  This gave me the opportunity to learn and think about some issues pertinent to planning such as the complexity of balancing the needs of business, industry and employment with the natural environment, cultural heritage and community.  Also, common good against individual good.   

Because of the competing interests of stakeholders in the planning process, it is very difficult to reach a consensus that keeps everyone happy.  The emotive nature of the subject (my village/street, the field beside my house, the view from my window) can make disagreement volatile.
I have insufficient knowledge on the subject of planning to speak with any authority but I’d like to make these suggestions:
The processes for planning and the criteria for decisions should be clear.  Explanation of decisions should be full and transparent.  I’d like to see a timeframe for the processing of small scale applications.
The ‘policing’ of planning permission should be reviewed.  It would be good to see a co production approach which included communities, neighbours and developers monitoring sites instead of relying on one council official.
Might it be possible for material planning considerations to also include factors that really matter to people and communities?  I am thinking of effect on view, optimal size of settlements / villages and the amenity value of open and green spaces.  Not that these would necessarily have more weight than other considerations but their inclusion would better reflect the strength of local views and would help protesters to feel that their views had been heard and included in the decision making process.  A definitive list of material considerations with values for weighting might help to make considerations less open to different interpretations and might make the decision making process more transparent. 
I am a novice on planning matters but recognise that there are discrepancies between the priorities of communities and the current planning process.  Although I don’t have answers to resolve the situation, I think there are opportunities for a fresh approach.   I would be keen to hear examples of when things have not worked well and ideas for improvements. 
Kind regards,
Kate
T. 07856 761724


No comments:

Post a Comment