Wednesday 4 November 2009

Which journey is preferable?

Look at these two views:

"I would like to see the public excited about development as opposed to living in fear of it - and there is plenty of actual experience to demonstrate the reasons for this fear. Planning affects every aspect of our lives from the cradle to the grave and is a crucial factor in dictating the quality of life for every individual, the system does not properly reflect this at the moment nor does it give ownership to local people. If you look at some of the most socially deprived communities in Glasgow that the decision makers didn't know what to do with - it was local people who got together to resolve the problems and very successfully too. Maybe it is a bit of a fantasy - but surely it is the outcome that we should be working towards? "

The extract above is from an e mail sent by Ann Coleman; the extract below from an APT supporter with respect to the plans for the area:

"For myself, I guess I've really given up. I've passed on all the words of wisdom that I've got, and others will have to carry the baton forward. There's so much money at stake here that the developers can and will bring in whatever legal teams they require to get their own way. They may be delayed, but they will win the day. Political support is also missing, and it's unlikely that it can be acquired. I feel a bit like a mosquito buzzing around a steer - and I do know that mosquitoes can kill a steer, but there's got to be a hell of a lot of them. We don't have the numbers.
However, I would never ask that you give up and if I have any (more) words of wisdom I'll pass them on."

With the ultimate goal of more public involvement finding solutions and creating better places and stronger communities, it would indeed be a shame if circumstances forced us to give up.

Come on all you mossies out there; lets attack the weaknesses in the system and show the politicians that we are worth their support.

No comments:

Post a Comment