Friday 19 June 2009

"Making Planning Sexy"

A letter published in Planning magazine earlier this month asked amongst other things:

"Who are your planning heroes or icons? Why isn’t planning sexy when it is, I believe, such an important profession?

"I believe that the RTPI needs a debate about what planning is, who planners are and where the profession should be going. And I think that we need more planners who are prepared to be vocal about the profession, who are prepared to raise their heads above the parapet to voice why they are passionate about planning and its purpose. To be planning heroes."

In response to the letter Michael Donnelly of Planning Magazine set a task on the planning blog

"... I’d like to get your ideas on what the profession can do to make it hold its head high and get the respect it deserves."

In response to that question I posted a comment - see below: Iwonder if you agree?

Well folks that was a really interesting set of comments. Personally as a member of the public who has spent the best part of the last 4 years getting to know the planning system (out of necessity and sadly because of perceived unjustice with planning locally) I find it fascinating; although, even I see people’s eyes glaze over frequently when I start to try and explain the finer points of how the system works.

Professional is as professional does. Whether I am speaking to an architect, legal eagle, surveyor or planner or for that matter doctor or teacher I expect there to be good and not so good in all.

You are talking about a quasi legal system; it is difficult to understand; I have heard it described as more of an ART than a science and decisions on development are taken by elected members, firstly by looking at the development plan and then by weighing up what is also material.

The potential is for greatness, for public involvement to help create better places; for attention to be paid to climate change issues; for design to enhance and contribute to the quality of our lives, to our health and to our wellbeing.

But I fear that if planning is quite simply reduced to the lowest common denominator of landowner with reasonable plan and deep pockets meets cash strapped local authority then there is not hope for any of us. Planning will simply be reduced to a damage limitation exercise.

When you read this I hope that it arouses feelings of curiousity and interest rather than feelings of resignation and defensiveness.

APTSec

2 comments:

  1. The late Jane Jacobs is my planning hero. 'The Death and Life of Great american Cities' (1961) is a must-read for anyone interested in planning - way before its time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The PEOPLE INVOLVED IN THE PLANNING PROFESSION WHO THINK "MAKING PLANNING SEXY",HAVE IN MY OPINION,A VERY SERIOUS MEDICAL PROBLEM?,SINCE WHEN DID "BRICKS and CEMENT"HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH SEX????.HAVE I BEEN MISSING OUT ON SOMETHING!.

    ReplyDelete